Rofmin SR 1000 Tablet contains metformin. It is also an oral antidiabetic drug which belongs to biguanide class which is the first line treatment for type 2 diabetes mellitus. It causes suppression of glucose production by liver.
- First line treatment for type 2 diabetes
- Metformin is used in pre-diabetes
- PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- Gastrointestinal diabetes
Once daily or as directed by the physician
Mechanism of action
It decreases gluconeogenesis in liver and also decreases the intestinal absorption of glucose. It also improves the sensitivity of insulin.
In fasting condition of the patients, the drug bioavailability is about 50% to 60%. Food decreases the absorption of drug.
The volume of distribution is 654±358 L. It rarely bonds to plasma protein. It does not follow hepatic metabolism.
It is excreted in unchanged form in urine
- Use is contraindicated in pregnant patient
- In lactating mothers
- Renal dysfunction
- Patient undergoing radiological studies
- Acute or chronic metabolic acidosis
- Renal and hepatic impairment
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Hypoglycemic episodes
- Lung and liver disease